Body Issues Faced by Teenagers

 

DARK, HEAVY & SHORT, I’M STILL PERFECT

Hey! My name is “That Girl”. In my day-to-day life I encounter people who like me for who I am and people who make hurtful comments about my physique. I have a fair complexion, big eyes (I don’t need eyeliner), flawless smile with perfect teeth (centre aligned) and a slim beach body, as well. But on receiving hurtful comments, I feel crushed into a million pieces, as if all my self-confidence has fled the scene of disappointment. Maybe because I am not Kylie Jenner.

I think everyone feels the way as I do. Body image is the subjective picture or mental image of one’s own body. By itself, body image is a neutral term and simply describes how you perceive your body and present it to the world. It is the people that surround us that make us feel good or bad about ourselves. 

Is Positive Body Image Necessary?

Especially in the age of social media where we are heavily influenced by everything from billboards to Pinterest aesthetics, it can be difficult for us to determine our feelings for something as personal as our own body. We have been burdened with such specific ideas portraying attractiveness and fitness which aren’t even healthy or attainable. These ideas are born in the minds of none other than the advertisement executives whose main motto is to sell weight supplements but attaching the concept of “healthy weight” with the products have resulted in several consequences.



Consequences of Negative Body Image

People often adopt behaviours that are unhealthy such as restricting certain foods, fasting and rigorous physical activity. This can lead to fatigue, bone injuries, gastrointestinal problems, late puberty of eating disorders such as Body Dysmorphia Disorder (BDD). The resulting low esteem often leads to eating disorders such as Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, and mental disorders such as depression as well.


How to deal with it?

The most proven approach to prevent all the above-mentioned problems is to encourage individuals especially teenagers to be critical towards the content they consume related to physical appearance. As a result, every individual will learn to identify what’s healthy and would surely adopt healthy habits.

It is our mental strength that helps us to take negative comments with a feeling of optimism. However, even mentally strong people tear up whilst dealing with them sometimes. To overcome the demon of body shaming, remember that the comments people make are not a reflection of you, but a reflection of them. Perfection is not a necessary. You are awesome just the way you are! 

  

     ( By Dev Thakur and Anshika Saxena, Volunteers, Editorial Dept. Advanced Healthcare Foundation)

Comments

Popular Posts